Sunday, November 15, 2009

"Fancy" Mac and Cheese

I got this recipe from a friend, courtesy of Giada De Laurentiis. It's definitely not low-fat, but I like making it for company because it looks fancy.

12 oz. wide egg noodles
2 cups heavy cream (I usually only use one cup)
2 1/2 cups whole milk (I usually use 2 cups whole and 1 cup skim to make up for the heavy cream--there's a bit too much liquid in this recipe for me so I cut the total back by 1/2 cup)
2 t. flour
1/2 t. salt
1/4 t. pepper
2 c. (packed) grated Fontina (this is sometimes hard to find, but Smith's usually carries it in their deli section)
3/4 c. (packed) finely grated Parmesan
3/4 c. (packed) grated mozzarella
2 T. finely chopped fresh Italian parsley leaves
4 oz. cooked ham, diced (optional--I've never used it)

Before I start, I usually grate all the cheeses in my food processor (or buy pre-grated Parmesan and mozzarella). Cook the noodles in boiling water, about 5 minutes. Drain well but do not rinse. Meanwhile, whisk cream, milk, flour, 1/2 t. salt and pepper in a LARGE bowl to blend. Stir in 1 c. Fontina, 1/4 c. Parmesan, 1/2 c. mozzarella, ham (if using) and parsley. Add the noodles and toss to coat. Butter (I just use cooking spray) a 9x13 baking dish and pour noodle mixture in baking dish. Toss remaining 1 c. Fontina, 1/4 c. Parmesan and 1/4 c. mozzarella in a small bowl to blend. Sprinkle cheese mixture over noodle mixture. Bake about 20 minutes. Sauce should bubble and cheese should begin to brown. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like a yummy mac and cheese. I'll have to try it soon! Thanks for posting the chili recipe too!

    ReplyDelete